Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 2008 17:07:17 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why not GNU cmp?

--imjhCm/Pyz7Rq5F2

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 11:05:19AM -0400, matt donovan wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>wr=
ote:
> > Unga <unga888@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I have noted FreeBSD uses GNU diff, GNU diff3 and GNU sdiff. Why Free=
BSD
> > uses its own version of cmp? why not use GNU cmp? Is the GNU cmp not
> > compatible with FreeBSD?
> >
> > The GNU version of cmp is not licensed under the BSD license.
> >
> > Given enough time/manpower, all the GNU tools in FreeBSD will eventually
> > be replaced with BSD-licensed versions.
>=20
> and it's not GNU diff it's BSD diff

Are you sure about that?  I thought FreeBSD was using GNU diff as its
standard diff, and that a BSD diff was only available through ports
(thanks in part to the efforts of someone working on BSD-licensed text
tools during this year's Google SOC).

--=20
Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
Larry Wall: "You can never entirely stop being what you once were.
That's why it's important to be the right person today, and not put it
off till tomorrow."

--imjhCm/Pyz7Rq5F2

--imjhCm/Pyz7Rq5F2--