Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 12:28:19 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Luc Segers <Luc.Segers@vnet.atea.be>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: real newbie doubting between linux/freebsd

Hi,

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Luc Segers wrote:

>         I have some questions: I would like to be a new computer with
> all the newest hardware: Soundblaster Savage 4 videocard, Soundblaster
> live soundcard, Pentium III (I will wait for the new very fast
> motherboards). My question is: will freebsd work with those new things,
> which one is faster to support new hardware, Linux or FreeBSD and whats
> the time difference. Will you ever support these hardware.

In general Linux supports more hardware and it tends to be quicker.  In
terms of hardware (that's fast like you're discussing) FreeBSD will most
likely support it.  You should check, if you use SCSI, that the card you
buy is supported by the new CAM layer (go look at the supported hardware
list at www.freebsd.org).

In terms of the video, Linux and FreeBSD typically use the same X server -
XFree86.  You should check and see if they support the vid card you want
(www.xfree86.org).  If they do you can use it to run X Windows on FreeBSD.

Sound cards are another thing you should check in the list.  I believe the
"live" cards are not supported as yet.

> At first sight FreeBSD seems to be beter structured, and I really like
> some structure. I dont really like the chaos of Linux.

Yep.  Structure is not necessarily bad.  Anarchies may be fun but they
don't tend to work really well.

> Another thing I think is important, is support, and I am testing that
> right now ;-).

It's fast and quick, IF you send in details of the problem you're having.
If you send in "KDE doesn't work" and that's it you're not likely to get
help.  :-)

> You can Buy 4CD-Roms with freeBSD 3.1, but what's on those 4CD-roms ?
> Is there KDE 1.1 ? Everything ?

The CDs contain most of the ports - go to www.freebsd.org/ports to see
what applications are in the ports.  There are over 2100 now and
installation is as simple as a "make install" away.

> P.S.: I really like the Little Red Devil

Beastie is much better than a fat little penguin!

Brett
Brett Taylor            brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu *
                        brett@daemonnews.org              *
							  *