Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 16:22:26 -0500
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfg1+@pitt.edu>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Killing a port with FreeBSD and netcard

I'm not to sure if this should go to -mobile, ot -net or to no
list...actually nobody commented in -chat, and I suspect -questions is not
the proper place either so this was the last option.

I bought a linksys netcard in order to use it with FreeBSD-4.1. I am
comfortably running an old (non FreeBSDable) Alpha with Tru64 on that same
port. I hooked everything and the card didn't give me any problem with W98.
When I turned on the FreeBSD partition I got some messages from ed1, saying
that manual intervention was required and that there was a duplicate IPV6
address found!
Of course, I never found a clear guide on what values to put on if_config
(it's the local address right?) so I understood that I would have to tweak
a lot with the configuration, furthermore, I'm not using IPv6 so I ignored
the messages.

I tried to ping the campus server and it replied that I was doing something
illegal for the router. I opened a session with Netscape, however, and it
worked fine.... for two minutes. Next thing I know is that the port doesn't
work for any computer in my office.   The network manager fixed the port
today but he gave no hint on what went wrong and I'm pretty sure that if I
plug in FreeBSD again it will break again.

If no one has a clear hint on what may failing in my configuration I think
I'll break everything again but this time I'll log all the messages in
FreeBSD.

tia,

    Pedro.