Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 16:50:55 -0600
From:      "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@tar.com>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        djb@Wit389306.student.utwente.nl, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA driver problem?? (lost disk contact)

On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 09:25:11AM +0100, Soren Schmidt wrote:

> There is this thing with the IBM's doing some headcleaning stuff once
> a day/week, but I've never seen any of my IBM's do that (I got plenty
> of them). I'll try to get more info on that from IBM...

Check http://www.storage.ibm.com/techsup/hddtech/prodspec/djna_spw.pdf

On page 99 it says:

10.12 Automatic Drive Maintenance (ADM)

ADM function is equipped to maintain the reliability even in continuous usage.
ADM function is to go into Standby mode automatically after detecting idle mode
at intervals of 6 days.

This function is always enabled regardless of Standby Timer value. The detail
of Standby Timer is described in 12.6, "Idle (E3h/97h)" on page 122, and 12.32,
"Standby (E2h/96h)" on page 171.

The 6 days counter is reset at the following.
    Power on Ready
    Entering Standby mode by Standby Command
    Entering Standby mode by Standby Timer

Both Soft Reset and Hard Reset do not disturb the spin down of ADM.

If a command is received during spin down of ADM, the drive quits the spin down
and tries to complete the command as soon as possible.
In case the spin down of ADM is disturbed by a command, it is retried 12 hours
later. For timeout concern, refer to 13.0, "Timeout Values" on page 185.

--
Richard Seaman, Jr.           email: dick@tar.com
5182 N. Maple Lane            phone: 262-367-5450