Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 05:43:21 -0400
From:      Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
To:        "Marius Vincent" <mvincent@elcb.co.za>, "freeBSD-Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: B007l04d3r?

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, in a never-ending search for enlightenment, Marius Vincent wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am running FreeBSD and Winblows on 2 seperate partitions.Freebsd used to
> give me an option on which OS i could load at boot.
> But since i reformatted my winblows partition 'cause it f*cked out again,
> there is no prompt for which partition I can boot.
> So....
> What is the program FreeBSD uses for it's equivelent to LILO in linux??
>
> Thanx
>
> Marius Vincent
> Technical
> ELCB Information Services

I did a quick search of the mail archives. Here's the response to the
question.....

>From the FAQ

2.9. Windows 95 killed my boot manager! How do I get it back?

You can reinstall the boot manager FreeBSD comes with in one of two
ways:

Running DOS, go into the tools/ directory of your FreeBSD
distribution and look for bootinst.exe. You run it like so:

bootinst.exe boot.bin

and the boot manager will be reinstalled.

Boot the FreeBSD boot floppy again and go to the Custom installation
menu item. Choose Partition. Select the drive which used to contain
your boot manager (likely the first one) and when you come to the
partition editor for it, as the very first thing (e.g. do not make
any changes) select (W)rite. This will ask for confirmation, say yes,
and when you get the Boot Manager selection prompt, be sure to select
"Boot Manager." This will re-write the boot manager to disk. Now
quit out of the installation menu and reboot off the hard disk as
normal.

Hope this helps.

--
Walter Brameld

Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?
Walter:    And what does THIS button do??