Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 16:36:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Anthony Kimball <alk@pobox.com>
To:        chuckr@picnic.mat.net
Cc:        dcs@newsguy.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swap-related problems

Quoth Chuck Robey on Thu, 15 April:
: No, we are not.  Malloc does in fact fail on those conditions.

Again, it seems to be a reasonable disagreement over semantics.  To my
mind, you haven't allocated memory successfully unless you can use it
without processes dying, in this case including your self.  To yours,
the fact that you might be able to use the memory with no further
program action suffices to constitute a successful allocation.

No one is denigrating the system.  We just disagree about what
constitutes a successful allocation of memory.