Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 23:34:00 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        John <papalia@udel.edu>
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, cjclark@home.com, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>, Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Great American Gas Out

On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 10:40:42PM -0500, John wrote:
[snip]
> I've been hunting trying to find a chemical equation which actually shows
> the combustion reaction of Gasoline w/ MTBE in it.  No avail so far.  Still
> searchign through the scientific journals.

You won't find one. Combustion is an entire field unto
itself. Gasoline is a complicated mixture of hydrocarbons (which varies
depending on where the crude was from, the time it was produced, the
plant it came from, and the phase of the moon) and air is a mix of
mainly N2 and O2. Combustion is a series of reactions whereby the
organics are progressively broken down into smaller and smaller pieces
until you only have CO2 and H2O (and CO, SOx, NOx, etc.). The complete
set of equations to describe the combustion of gasoline/MBTE would
take a tome just to write down.

If you want the overall stoichiometry of complete combustion,

      2 CH OC(CH )  + 15 O  ->  10 CO  + 12 H O
          3     3 3       2          2       2

And for some physical and chemical properties of MBTE, one of my
favorite sites,

  http://webbook.nist.gov/cgi/cbook.cgi?ID=C1634044&Units=SI&Mask=A

(I liked the little surprise on that page that the stuff likes to
breakdown to acetone and methanol.)

> But in the end, Oxygen as it is part of a GREATER molecule does not affect
> the O2 sensor of your car.  If this is the case, CO and CO2 (standard
> products of combustion) would ALSO effect the sensor.

Well, CO is similar to oxygen in some ways, that's why it's toxic and
very flammable.... wish I knew the principle behind this sensor.