Date:      Tue, 02 Mar 2004 15:42:50 -0600
From:      Kenneth Andresen <kenneth@cancun.net>
To:        freebsd-config@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 5.2.1 - problems installing - Disk geometry problems

Hello all!

I am unfortunatly having multiple problems while trying to install
FreeBSD, and would like some help continuing the install process.

First off - about 80-90% of the time when booting from the 5.2.1 install
cd, I can't get to partition the hard drive. Upon closer examination, I
am detecting the boot-up error:

ata0-master: Failure - ATA_IDENTIFY no interupt

When detecting my hard drive, I am told the geometry of the drive is
wrong and am promted to change this to what's written in the bios. I
went into the bios to get this information, however with that inforation
I am still getting incorrect geometry error messages. Since the system
is a multi-boot machine, I do not want to destroy all the other
partitions on the disk trying the auto-assumed geometry, so I hope you
may help me out setting the correct geometry.

Here are the data om my machine:

Motherboard: Gigabyte KT400 AGP 8X/FSB 333
Processor: Athlon XP 2000+
Hard drive: Western digital: WDC WD400BB