Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 18:33:13 +1000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   IDE Zip drive, challenge!

OK, so we all know that there are IDE Zip drives out there, and
moreover that they are pretty cheap.  They perform fairly poorly, but
media are cheap and the drives themselves are fairly ubiquitous.

There's a local ISP building systems using them as boot drives for
routers and terminal servers, simply because they can swap the OS on a
system by rebooting it and changing disks.

However, there are a couple of problems with these drives that need to
be addressed by an enterprising IDE hacker with access to one of these
drives.

1)	The drive is not locked when the disk is mounted.

2)	Once a disk has been ejected and another inserted, the disk
	reports an error condition that the IDE driver can't handle.

In the case of 1), we need media lock/unlock support as for SCSI
removables.  This should be moderately easy.

In the case of 2), the error is almost certainly a "media changed"
notification.  This status needs to be recognised and correctly
acknowledged.

In both cases, there should be ATAPI standards for dealing with these
situations, and we can hope that Iomega have done the right thing and
followed them.

If you think that this is a job worth taking on, let us know and get to
it!

mike

(ps.  should we have a web resource somewhere where things like this
can be publicised?  I think that if we were to maintain a list of
short, discrete tasks suitable for relative newcomers, we could attract
a lot more interest in this sort of thing...)