Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 1996 20:04:37 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Jason Kuri <jaykuri@oneway.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about Routing, and IP 'source' on Multi-IP machine.

<<On Sat, 15 Jun 1996 18:55:49 -0500 (CDT), Jason Kuri
<jaykuri@oneway.com> said:

> If I am actually using the gateway machine, The IP of the PPP tun0
> interface is shown as the source of all connections.

Not true.  The IP address chosen, unless explicitly overridden by
software, is the address OF THE INTERFACE USED to reach the
destination.

> Is there any way to make this the IP of the Ethernet interface?

Break your software so that it does a bind(2) first to select a
different address.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.