Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 1995 17:37:24 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        phk@ref.tfs.com, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, nate@trout.sri.MT.net
Subject:   Re: What I'd *really like* for 2.0.5

The style should be consistent.

The drivers should be removed, not their messages.  You can use userconfig
or the (unimplemented) driver-disable flag in your config file to disable
drivers without completely removing them..

>Then I counter with the opposite argument, I can't see what did not
>get found after boot if you remove the not found messages.  Right
>now I can use dmesg or look in /var/log/messages and see it, but if
>you remove those I would have no way to find out what I told it
>to probe for but it did not find :-(.

I agree.  The messages are for putting in /var/log/messages to look
at later and quote in bug reports.  `bootverbose' should not affect the
amount of output that is logged to disk.  There should probably be
more boot messages, but less printed on the console.  The message
buffer currently limits the number of boot messages too much.

Bruce