Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 04:08:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Howard Leadmon <howardl@account.abs.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to get 16K open descriptors??

  Anyone here ever gotten FreeBSD 4.1 to work with more than 8K open
file descriptors??  It seems that even if I define FD_SETSIZE to 16384
when I build the kernel, when I look at the limits I see:

ux# limit -h
cputime         unlimited
filesize        unlimited
datasize        524288 kbytes
stacksize       65536 kbytes
coredumpsize    unlimited
memoryuse       unlimited
descriptors     8232
memorylocked    unlimited
maxproc         4115

So seem to be running into 8232 as a magic number for some reason, but
haven't figured out where this limit is being set.  The need for this
is an IRC Chat Server, and currently if I allow over 8K clients things
start to crash and burn fast.

If anyone knows how to get past this limit it would be appreciated..

---
Howard Leadmon - howardl@abs.net - http://www.abs.net
ABSnet Internet Services - Phone: 410-361-8160 - FAX: 410-361-8162