Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:03:49 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        <timothyr@timothyr.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0-RELEASE to 4.0-STABLE upgrade

> 2)  My kernel grew from ~2.5MB to over 10MB after the upgrade. =20
kldstat -v
> looks about the same, and my config file hasn't changed at all.

> bash-2.03$ uname -a
> FreeBSD scarlet 4.1-RC FreeBSD 4.1-RC #10: Sun Jul 16 20:26:32 PDT=20
2000
> timothyr@scarlet:/usr/src/sys/compile/DSLROUTE  i386

> Any pointers appreciated.

> Thanks,
> -Tim

Dear Timothy Robertson,

you have probably compiled a kernel with debug stuff.

As I recall, this should NOT change performance significantly; on the=20
other hand, it allows you to [try to] solve problems when trouble does=20
occur -- which is not a frequent phenomenon/event at any rate.

Whether you keep it or not, it is your choice. Despite FreeBSD's=20
stability, it  is normally a good policy to employ a debug kernel,=20
given the little to no impact on the system. If you want an "ordinary"=20
kernel, you could recompile it in the standard way (config [-r], make=20
depend, make, make install).

Caveat: if you have cvsup'ed your sources again, the **safe** way to=20
go is the new buildworld, build/installkernel, etc. sequence for your=20
first kernel build, as has recently been discussed in the -stable=20
forum. The old method *may* work; however, if you use it, you are on=20
your own :-)

Best regards,
Salvo