Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 2002 12:02:02 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Losing the battle with RC1

> Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 11:22:10 -0800 (PST)
> From: Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > For the past few days I have been trying to get RC1 running on my old
> > laptop (IBM ThinkPad 600E). The installation worked pretty well, but
> > the system crashes frequently when acpi is running.
> >
> > I decided to get a dump to look at and added the following to my
> > rc.conf:
> > dumpdev="/dev/ad0s2b"
> > dumpdir="/scratch"
> >
> > ad0s2 IS my swap partition. I don't think the /scratch directory is
> > relevant as I never get to the savecore.
>
> ad0s2 needs to be as big as main memory or dumps may overwrite the next
> partition.

Nate,

Actually, a bit bigger. But that doesn't matter as I made it 160 MB
back when this system had 128 MB of RAM. It now has 192 MB.

I feel terribly stupid at the moment. Excuse me while I re-partition.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious! (Although I am confused by why it
wiped the root partition which is BEFORE swap.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)