Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 14:37:08 -0400
From:      drvince@ix.netcom.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing X 4.0.1

I have recently installed FreeBSD 4.0 on a spare machine at home and had the default
(3.6?)  version of XFree86 running on it. Being adventurous, I attempted to upgrade to
XFree86 4.0.1 (to better support my NVidia TNT card).

I followed the instructions on the XFree86.org website carefully, got all required
packages and used the Xinstall script to configure. It seemed to go pretty well, in that I
could use XFree86 to invoke the graphical configuration of the monitor and card, et al.

However, when I ran startx (using KDE as my desktop) I got to the screen with the
weave pattern and the X marking the mouse cursor. The X could move, so the machine
was not hung (I could also kill the server with Ctrl-Alt-Bksp), but I never got a window-
manager up.

After some attempts to reconfigure it, mainly by copying back the contents of the old X
dirs and re-installing the new X (so that I had my legacy setup) I could get past the
weave-pattern screen, but the server died with "cannot find libqt.so". I located that file,
so it is on the system, but it is not looking in the right place.

Can someone point me to docs on configuring the new X and installing a proper
window manager for it? Does anyone have a favorite windowmanager that works with
KDE?

Thanks for the help...

Vince