Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 2009 23:02:37 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: breakthru, maybe....

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:48:46 -0700, Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:
> 	this dell was running losedows, vista, so i assume it has some
> 	kind of sound card.

That's an interesting conditional implication thought. :-)

> 	it has "256MN ATI X1300 PRo" video.  is this enough to power
> 	my new [year-old] 20.1" widescreen display?

Depends on your display's dpi, but should be okay.

> 	so: what is the URL to download the 8.0-PRE freebsd....?

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/8.0/
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/8.0/

> 	true, i haven't had to install freebsd by-hand from CDROMs for
> 	years, but if remory servs, more than one CD is required.

No. You can start the installation from the first CD which
gives you basically the OS and some packages (e. g. Linux ABI).
Everything else can be installed via ports / packages, this
means via Internet.

You can even use the boot only CD to start the installation,
or the live FS.

> 	i DO have blank DVD-RW discs ... if we've got a DVD distro
> 	somewhere.

There is a DVD available.

> 	thanks in advance, gents,

Good luck!

> 	PS:  the "breakthru" is that i'll be doing everything with my
> 	     one hand/arm.

Manual operations. :-)

--
Polytropon