Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 1995 13:54:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Michael C. Newell" <mnewell@lupine.nsi.nasa.gov>
To:        maher katbah <maher@azstarnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xwindow

On Fri, 4 Aug 1995, maher katbah wrote:

>  I installed FreeBSD 2.0.5 over 6 times now, trying to run X windows but I
> can't.
>  or should I say I don't know how, I have a book for linux and it shows that
>  you can start X window by simply typing startx after configering the Xconfig
> file. I added the /usr/X11R6/bin in the path. I moved to that directory and
> all what I get is "startx: command not found" even though the is right
> there. please help me or at
>  least let me know where I can get help also if thers is an existing book for
> FREEBSD let me know

Are you using csh?  Did you try "rehash" after setting the path?  Does
the "startx" command have a+rx access set?

When you cd to a directory and want to run something in it you need to
make sure either (a) "." is in your path, or (b) you do "./command".   In
most systems for user root "." is explicitly left out of the path so that
you don't accidentally run something you don't expect as root.  In fact,
on fbsd V2.0.5 using tcsh I get a warning when my .cshrc executes because
I have "." in the path for root (my choice!)

In your case, maybe

  cd /usr/X11R6/bin
  ./startx

or

  /usr/X11R6/bin/startx

might be reasonable alternatives.  (BTW, when you said "I added the
/usr/X11R6/bin in the path." did you mean you edited your startup file
and added it?  If so, you need to do something like "source .cshrc" in
order to enable the path...)

Thanks,

Mike

|Mike Newell                           | The opinions expressed herein are  |
|NASA Science Internet Network Systems | my own, and do not necessarily     |
|Sterling Software, Inc.               | reflect those of the NSI program,  |
|MNewell@nsipo.nasa.gov                | Sterling Software, NASA, or anyone |
|+1-202-434-8954                       | else.                              |
|                  work: http://www.eco.nsi.nasa.gov/~mnewell               |
|                    home: http://www.newell.arlington.va.us                |