Date:      Mon, 07 May 2007 15:06:26 -0700
From:      Frank Jahnke <jahnke@sonatabio.com>
To:        Gore Jarold <gore_jarold@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vmware3 on FreeBSD 6.2 - minor (?) svga problem ... more #2

On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 15:04 -0700, Gore Jarold wrote:

> I have a 1920x1200 xorg screen (it takes up one entire
> 1920x1200 physical monitor), and in that screen I have
> created a 960x600 window, and it is in that window
> that I run the command 'vmware'.

Again, this does not matter.

> I don't know where to set the resolution of the vmware
> device driver ... vmware is not mentioned anywhere in
> my xorg.conf, and I don't see anywhere in the VM
> preferences to set anything to do with resolution
> (other than to pick the best resolution for full
> screen, which is not applicable, since I do not run
> full-screen...)

Remember this is a virtual machine.  You set it up, and how your
underlying system is configured really does not matter.

> No - I hit "power on", it gives me that SVGA error,
> and then does nothing.
>
> Thanks for your help.

OK -- my explanation, while correct, is not what is causing your issues.
You can set the vmware resolution by running the tools (or by diddling
with a config file).

Incidentally, how do you have your xbase set?

I've not seen this error before.  Let me get back to you shortly.

Frank