Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 12:26:02 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Maury Markowitz <maury@OAAI.COM>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NT vs Linux vs FreeBSD

Maury Markowitz wrote:

> claim that it
>
>   That has both advantages and disadvantages though, depending on
> the context.  Throughout the 80's having a single source was one of
> the favourite excuses for MIS to reject Macs.  Later when they tried
> cloning a different group complained that it was all too confusing.
> C'est la vie.
>
> >       You're confusing distribution, media and packaging, IMHO.
>
>   Well I'd say that if you look at "BSD" rather than "FreeBSD" the
> forking is just as bad as it is on the Linux side of things.  Forking
> is bad.  There are now three generally similar BSD releases out
> there, and arguing which is better actually makes them all worse.
>
>   Of course only a dreamer would suggest that some anti-forking is
> due for the BSD world.  Somebody pinch me!

OK, you're pinched.  You're also wrong.  Forking isn't bad, it improves
the breed.  The three BSD releases aren't all that similar, and each
brings a unique perspective that COULD NOT be addressed by one of the
other BSD projects.

And, to put it mildly, BSD is far less "forked" than Linux: Red Hat, Debian,
Slackware, SuSE, Turbo, Caldera, etc.  I'm sure there are quite a few more,
it seems like a new Linux distro is announced about once a week these days,
each with slightly different libraries, slightly different configuration,
and slightly different application support.  Yeah, right, what a way to run
an OS.

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com