Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 00:01:58 -0400
From:      Jim Arnold <jarnold@knightridder.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   adaptec 2940UW - bad or misconfigured

Installed an Adaptec 2940UW onto an Epox EP-MVP3G2 motherboard and
then did a clean install of FreeBSD 4.6.2 onto a Seagate ST39175LW.
The install went without a hitch but when I reboot I get
the error "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter."

When I take the SCSI drive and install it into another box with an
Adaptec 2940U2W it boots fine.
If the card or scsi cable was bad wouldn't the install have failed?

Spent some time changing BIOS settings but this does nothing. BIOS is
set to boot SCSI first.
Previously this Epox board had the Adaptec 2940U2W before it was
moved to another box as part of an upgrade.

Next I took the 2940U2W card and put it into the Epox motherboard.
The HD with the new install boots fine with this card on this MB.

Any ideas? I'm still stumped as to why the install worked but it
won't boot with this card.
It's an Ebay purchase, FWIW...

Thanks,
Jim