Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 2008 18:03:04 -0600
From:      Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
To:        sgmayo@mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, members@mlug.missouri.edu
Subject:   Re: Ldap NSS PAM Samba

sgmayo@mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us wrote:
> I am trying to setup a FreeBSD server with samba that uses OpenLdap.  I
> have installed everything and was doing some configuring.  I set this all
> up once before on a Linux box, but I basically just went through the
> motions and really was not sure what all I did...but it worked.  Now I
> want to understand everything so that I know exactly what all I did. :)
>
> I have the following:
> I installed OpenLdap which put ldap.conf in /usr/local/etc/openldap.
> I installed PAM which put ldap.conf.dist in /usr/local/etc.
> I installed NSS which put nss_ldap.conf in /usr/local/etc.
>
> >From looking at them I assume that the last two are the same file and one
> of them just needs to be renamed to ldap.conf and configured for PAM and
> NSS, is that correct?
>
> The ldap.conf in /usr/local/etc/openldap is a different config file even
> though it has the same name?  It is used for openldap and the other is
> used for PAM and NSS?
>
> Thanks for any info.

openldap/ldap.conf is the OpenLDAP client configuration.  You're likely
looking for the LDAP server configuration, openldap/slapd.conf

etc/ldap.conf is for PAM, and etc/nss_ldap.conf are not to be merged.
I've played ***VERY*** briefly with LDAP authentication through PAM and
NSS, and both were required.  I can't quote easily what the difference
between NSS and PAM is, but all the docs I referenced from Google when I
searched said I needed both.