Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 12:44:54 +0100
From:      bryan@connect.net
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Missing installation files/links?

to my laptop and had some problems.  I first installed TranXit
Pro(laplink)software on my Win95 box that has an ide hard drive with an
ide cd-rom.  I then took a parallel laplink cable and connected it to my
laptop which has an ide hard drive(no cd-rom)and is also running win 95
with the TranXit Pro software.  I copied the basic folders from the
walnut creek cd-rom via laplink to the dos partition on my laptop.  I
booted from the FreeBSD floppy on my laptop and successfully installed
FreeBSD 2.2.2(including X-server) from the existing dos partition which
contained the basic distribution files.  I used the boot-easy feature so
that either os's can be booted on startup.  The system seems to boot up
fine.  I ran <bold>/stand/systinstall</bold> and copied the proper files
for X-setup from my dos-partition. I then ran <bold>XF86config</bold> and
properly set up the X-server for my video card(Cirrus Logic) and
laptop-active matrox screen.  However when I issue the command
<bold>startx</bold> the system tells me ld.so failed: Can't find shared
library libXmu.so.6.0.  I called Walnut Creek cd-rom technical support
and they told me that some symbolic links could have been messed up when
I sent the freeBSD folders via dos partitions.  The shared library
libXmu.so.6.0 is not on my system at all.  Tech-support told me to boot
from the freeBSD boot floppy on my laptop again and re-install.  When I
got to the part that asked what kind of media I would be installing from
I chose parallel laplink cable hence nfs.  My win95 box has the laplink
software running.  FreeBSD asks me what is the name of the host nfs that
I will be installing from via parallel cable.  I typed host:/cd0/dists.=20
I tried several different syntaxes or pathnames.  It could'nt find the
host(tech support didn't seem to know the correct syntax either).  I
might of not typed in the correct pathname. What is the correct pathname
for installing to a laptop from an ide cdrom on a dos partition from
another computer with the cdrom drive letter being D?  I exited
installation because I didn't have a medium. Can I import these shared
library files or symbolic links that I might be missing into my existing
FreeBSD system?(Tech support didnt seem to know how to do this).  If not,
do I need FreeBSD laplink software running in the FreeBSD installation to
extract the files from the cd-rom on the other computer?  Is there an
easier way to safely transfer all of the installation files to my
laptop?

					=09

                               	Thanks,=09

										Bryan Hinton    =20