Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 2014 12:26:25 -0400
From:      Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>
To:        questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: chroot command used with screen utility

Fbsd8 wrote:
> Hello list
>
> I have three directory tree filesystems that I want chrooted.
> When I issue the chroot path command the host console turns into
> the console prompt for the chroot. To have 3 individual chrooted
> filesystems I alt/F2 and chroot filesystem #1 ,
> then I alt/F2 and chroot filesystem #2 and so on.
> So I end up having F1 for the host console,
>                    F2 for the filesystem #1
>                    F3 for the filesystem #2
>                    F4 for the filesystem #3
>
> The goal is to have a primary start up script which will start the
> chroot filesystems from the host console without the chroot consuming
> the host's console. The "man chroot" command has very little info about
> usage. I can only think what I want done can not be done with the chroot
> command syntax.
>
> I am now testing with the screen command. I get a daisy-string effect of
> shells within shells.
>
> If there is some other method to do this I am interested.
> But help with using screen is desired.
>
> Thanks

For the archives.

Never received a reply. But I continued to work on scripting screen
to run multiple chroot filesystems.

Finally this created a screen in detached mode that was running a
chrooted filesystem.

     screen -S $name -d -m chroot /usr/chroot/$name

This was only half of the problem, still needed to script some way to
stop the chroot running in a screen. Tried these different commands

      screen -S $name -X exit
      screen -p $name -X exit
      screen -S $name -X shutdown now
They did not work.
Finally went the kill task method

      screen_pid=`screen -ls | grep $name | cut -f 1 -d .`
      /bin/kill ${screen_pid}