Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:01:25 GMT
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        "Michl" Alexandre Salim <michel@salin.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Query about planned install

I can't help you with much of this .. but ny tuppence worth is below..

Cliff

> Hello,
>
> I am rather new at using FreeBSD, having used Linux for the past three
ye> ars or so as my primary OS (getting that out of the way to 'set' the
leve> l of discussion). I currently have FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE installed on a
sma> ll-ish 2G partition, and having dabbled with it I'm almost ready to
re-in> stall it in a larger partition, as soon as my new hard drive arrives.

> Any suggestions about partitioning welcome. Currently planning to have
ei> ther root, usr and home, or just root and home.
You might want to consider having a seperate /var, depending on how
mucal mail, news, logs you process..
But the main reason I
sen> d this query is regarding building the ports collection. I have access
to>  a fast Internet connection at the university but the connection for my
P> C itself is a 9.6 Kbps GSM using a mobile phone (so I have rather
non-sta> ndard hardwares including an Elan P-series desktop PCMCIA reader - part
o> f the reason I'm abandoning Linux is the mess they have made with PCMCIA
> support recently). Let me detail my current plan.
>
> 1. Install 4.2-RELEASE
> 2. Download latest ports tgz in computer room, burn to CD
> 3. Install ports
> 2. Use CVSup (set up CTM for later regular use) to sync with 4.2-STABLE
a> nd sync the ports tree
> 3. make World in /usr/src
> 4. recompile kernel
> 5. test
> 6. *this is the biggie*. In /usr/ports, do 'make fetch-list', copy the
li> st to floppy, download all the files in the list in the computer room
and>  transfer in CD-Rs.
> 7. Build ports
>
> This raises some questions.
> 1. How much space to allocate for the ports' sources? My new hard disk
is>  20 Gig, planning to use it for FreeBSD, Linux, BeOS and QNX. Old hard
di> sk for Windows and Solaris. Oops, flame bait :). I am thinking of having
> a shared partition for use by FreeBSD and Linux... perhaps ext2 since
Lin> ux's ufs support is not certified stable?

There are warnings in the FBSD kernel configuration files about EXT2 support,
something abou tit "lagging behind" .. :)