Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 1996 14:18:56 +1000 (EST)
From:      Administrator <root@hobart.tased.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Poppassd works but doesnt tell client

Hi All,

Seeing the earlier message about the bsdi port of poppassd I went and
grabbed it and other than having to remove the 2 from gcc in the Makefile,
adding in -lcrypt and changing the bin directory it compiled fine.

It even works...the only problem is the last message it sends to the
client is 200 your new password please. If the client sends the
newpassword their password gets changed but the client doesnt get told
about it...eventually Eudora will just time out.

I have used telnet localhost poppassd from the command line just to check
it isnt just Eudora but this has the same problem...

When poppassd is in this "hung" state a ps -auxww | grep passwd reveals:

root       436  0.0  8.0   252  532  ??  IEs   2:08PM    0:00.26 passwd
<user name>

Any ideas?

Andrew