Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 15:56:42 +0000
From:      "Graham Lillico" <graham_lillico@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Filesystem Sizes

Hi,

I'm setting up a File server it contains a 20gb disk which holds all the
system stuff and two 40Gb disks raided together to hold user home
directories, CVS repository, and the /usr/src and /usr/ports stuff so that I
can make them avaliable to all servers via NFS.

The problem I have is I have no idea what size to make the /usr/ports and
/usr/src filesystems?  Does anyone have any idea on a good ideal size I know
that /usr/ports is about 100Mb and that /usr/src is about 280Mb but how big
are they likely to get during kernel compiles etc.  I did consider making
the whole disk the /usr filesystem but at 80Gb this seemed a bit excessive.

Also how may filesystem are you limited to per disk?  And is vinum a good
option?

Regards

Graham Lillico