Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 1996 23:41:45 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
To:        jkh@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>, current@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org, dg@root.com
Subject:   Re: ncr53c810 driver in stable/current

David Greenman writes:
 > > >    We've seen this problem on freefall (which uses the NCR controller). It
 > > > likes to hang when we try to reboot it. I don't recall any fixes for this,
 > > > and I don't know what causes it.
 > >
 > >Hmm, I have not heard about this problem on other systems ...
 > >
 > >Could both of you please send details on the configuration:
 > >
 > >1) CPU class (eg. P5/133)
 >
 >    P5/100

Hmm, I had been thinking of a problem with a very fast CPU.

 > >2) controller chip (810 or 825)
 >
 >    810

Ok.

 > >3) disk drives connected
 >
 >    I don't have an exact answer to this at the moment, but I think freefall
 > has three Quantum PD-1800, one Quantum Grand Prix (might be a Seagate
 > Baracuda), and a Toshiba 3501 CDROM drive.

Also nothing special.

 > >4) type of hang (does the SDMS BIOS probe complete ?)
 >
 >    The hang is at shutdown, not startup. Jordan might be able to tell you if
 > there are any console messages prior to the hang.

Ok. I guess Jordan is reading this anyway:

Please provide me with details:

1) does the system complete the final sync ?
2) does it clear the screen in preparation of a warm boot ?
3) does it require a power-off or can it be made to boot
   by some other means (Ctl-Alt-Del) ?
4) does it always hang ?
5) do you know that the hang is not caused by some unrelated
   problem (BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET comes to mind :) ?

Regards, STefan