Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 18:19:26 +0100
From:      yveline josserand <yveline.josserand@sofrecom.fr>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nslookup on Freebsd 2.X and Freebsd 3.2

Good Evenig,

Here is a part of my named.conf. It looks like this:

	zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
        type master;
        file "localhost.rev";
};

	zone "sofrecom.fr" {
        type master;
        file "sofrecom.fr";
 };

My named.boot in Freebsd 2.X looks like this:

	primary   0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA          localhost.rev
	primary  sofrecom.fr                    sofrecom.fr

Here is the localhost.rev file

;       From: @(#)localhost.rev 5.1 (Berkeley) 6/30/90
;       $Id: PROTO.localhost.rev,v 1.4 1997/05/01 21:02:37 ache Exp $
;
; This file is automatically edited by the `make-localhost' script in
; the /etc/namedb directory.
;

@       IN      SOA     epsilon.sofrecom.fr. root.epsilon.sofrecom.fr.
(
                                19991013        ; Serial
                                3600    ; Refresh
                                900     ; Retry
                                3600000 ; Expire
                                3600 )  ; Minimum
        IN      NS      epsilon.sofrecom.fr.
1       IN      PTR     localhost.sofrecom.fr.
~

I have changed the file /etc/resov.conf

	from:	domain sofrecom.fr	to: search localhost.sofrecom.fr
		localhost 127.0.0.1	    nameserver 127.0.0.1

When I invoke nslookup with aaa.sofrecom.fr I have:

        ;; res_mkquery(0,aaa.sofrecom.fr.localhost.sofrecom.fr,
        1, 1)
        ------------
        Got answer:
         HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 16335, rcode = NXDOMAIN
        header flags:  response, auth. answer, want recursion,
recursion       avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 0,  authority records = 1,
additional      = 0

    QUESTIONS:
        aaa.sofrecom.fr.localhost.sofrecom.fr, type = A, class = IN

        ------------

It is correct because aaa doesn't exist in my domain. I use nslookup
because I have a problem with sendmail 8.9.3.

When I use an inexistent domain in my e-mail heading address
(yveline.josserand@aaa.sofrecom.fr), I send a message to ping@
oleane.com, the mail is accepted for delivery. It may be rejected
with the  following message:

                sender domain may resolve because aaa doesn't exit

Have I had an another means to determine where is the problem? have you
have any idea?

Thanks

Yveline Josserand

----