Date:      13 Feb 2001 22:25:48 -0600
From:      Tim Ayers <tayers@bridge.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: apache+mod_perl+eperl , cgi

A> Hello.
A> Guys , which one do you prefer (in terms of performance AND stability)
A> 1) apache+mod_perl, executing cgi internally using the modperl DSO
A> 2) apache, executing plain cgi (err.. of course it spawning new
A> proccess)
A> 3) or perhaps, apache+mod_perl+ePerl
A> (security not an issue, since this is just an internal http for private
A> net)
A> any insight?

Apache running CGI's is the slowest. By far!

Apache + mod_perl is much faster, but programming good mod_perl apps
is quite a different skill set. OTOH, badly written mod_perl apps are
still way faster than CGI's.

Apache + mod_perl + ePerl will be about the same performance as
without ePerl, but development time is typically faster. It's like
programming in Motif vs straight X. (Or C vs machine code is maybe a
more widely understood analogy. ;-)

There are also other embedded Perl solutions besides ePerl: Mason,
EmbPerl and Template-Toolkit come to mind.

Apache and Apache+mod_perl are very stable. I don't know about ePerl.

See http://perl.apache.org/guide/ for a lot more info about mod_perl.

Good luck, HTH and
Hope you have a very nice day, :-)
Tim Ayers (tayers@bridge.com)