Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 1997 11:11:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        dg@root.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD K6 [ was Re: RSA 56-bit key challenge ]

On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, Andreas Klemm wrote:

> I think I will choose the Tyan Titan Pro with one or two processors,
> because our hardware manufacturer has a good contact to Tyan. If
> there is something bad with the board I'd have a good chance to get
> it exchanged ...
>
> And what about Ram ? I think 60ns EDO Ram with parity is currently
> best buy ... Although I like the idea to get fast SDRAM, but I fear,
> that this isn't currently supported by the Natoma Chipset.
>
> Another draw back is, that the board wouldn't support the K6 Chip.

You seem to be interested in SMP, so I will post this warning, CPUs other
than the Intel don't use Intel's IOAPIC design.  Both the FreeBSD
software, and all available support chipsets in multiprocessor boards like
the Titan Pro, only support the Intel IOAPIC.  If you get the K6, then
give up the notion of 2 processors.  It won't fly.

> Does somebody know a Pentium Pro Mainboard (single or dual processor)
> that supports SDRAM and K6 Processors ?
>
> Or for what would I have to wait ... ;-)
>
> --
> andreas@klemm.gtn.com         /\/\___      Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
>    Andreas Klemm          ___/\/\/         Support Unix -- andreas.klemm@wup.de
> pgp p-key  http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bal/pks-toplev.html  >>> powered by <<<
> ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Printing/aps-491.tgz  >>>    FreeBSD <<<

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |