Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 09:23:46 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Alan Tegel <alan.tegel@openwave.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about Posix Threads

* Alan Tegel <alan.tegel@openwave.com> [010424 07:29] wrote:
> How well does FreeBSD 4.3 do with Posix Threads?
>
> This is a question I posted to a news group.
>
> Hello.  I work for a unix performance and capacity group.  owever, we have
> had some dismal performance from RedHat 6.2.  The question that I would
> like to know is how well does FreeBSD support Posix threads and is there
> any caveats in perfromance and stability?  Note, we have the ability to
> push Unix (whatever version) to the extremes (very fun and very insane
> job)....
>
> Any comments would be helpful.

How is performance dismal under redhat?  FreeBSD should do a really
good job of running thousands of threads as long as you don't have
too much disk IO since all the threads are multiplexed into a single
process, if you have an IO intensive program FreeBSD threads will
probably not help you all that much.  There are plans on replacing
the FreeBSD threads library with a multiplexed userland<->kernel
scheme in the near future.

--
-Alfred Perlstein - [alfred@freebsd.org]
Represent yourself, show up at BABUG http://www.babug.org/