Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 08:10:21 +0100 (BST)
From:      Tim Joseph <tim@weeble.org.uk>
To:        Marty Leisner <leisner@rochester.rr.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: U/DMA on FSBD 4.x

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Marty Leisner wrote:

> I've been using DMA with linux with several years.
>
> Did you play around with hdparm and exercise the options you were
> warned as "dangerous?"
>
> Did you discuss your problems with the linux IDE maintainers?
>

> Marty Leisner

Marty,

I think at the time, Linux DMA support for my chipset was marked
experimental (or maybe just new). Also, enabling UDMA at all was called
dangerous in the hdparm man page. But I admit that I did fiddle with other
options which were "dangerous" too (eg. unmask IRQ)

Plain old DMA just reset itself without pain after a day or so. UDMA plus
other bits, trashed my HDD.

I don't mean to denigrate the Linux IDE work, I was just commenting on my
own (inept) experiences. :-)

What would be the FreeBSD equivalent of hdparm, for tweaking and twiddling
wih HDD settings?

From,

Tim