Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 1999 20:37:52 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Mark Ovens <markov@globalnet.co.uk>
Cc:        mike@hyperreal.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.2 install on extended partition?

Mark Ovens writes:
> It [DOS fdisk] will allow you to have upto 4 partitions, either 4
> primary or 3 primary and one extended. What it won't allow is to
> create a primary *after* an extended (this is probably what you're
> seeing).

Based on what DOS has done for (or is it "to"?) me, the DOS 5.0
FDISK.EXE does as you say, but in DOS 6.2 it wouldn't let me create more
than one primary. DOS 5.0 would let me create 4 primaries, but if I
wanted 5 partitions then the 4th had to be primary partition dedicated
to being split up into extended partitions.

But as Mark said, leave the tail end of the disk unpartitioned with no
extended partitions on the disk. Then FreeBSD will happily claim some or
all of the unused space and mark it as a primary partition. Then if you
left any space beyond that you can make an extended partition out of it
with DOS. While DOS 6.2 wouldn't let me create more than one primary
partition it was happy to work with a disk that already had them.