Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 22:29:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        jobaldwi@erols.com, glewis@ares.maths.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jobaldwi@smtp3.erols.com
Subject:   Re: Wine breakage...

On 21-Jul-99 Thomas David Rivers wrote:

>> That's 344 Meg, not Kilobytes..  I have asmem running in my toolbar, and
>> when I
>> start wine up, I just watch my swap progress from 80% free or so down until
>> it
>> gets to 10% free at which point I kill it.  I'm just using XFree 3.3.3.1
>> with
>> the SVGA server, if that was broken I would think a lot more people would be
>> complaining.
>>

>  Oops - you're right - (sorry - I guess its too early in the morning; :-) )
>
>  In situations like this, I've done the following (which takes advantage
>  of the fact that it takes just a few seconds to fill up all the swap...)
>
>    1) Run big-monster-swap-consuming program
>
>    2) Get its PID
>
>    3) Get it to start consuming swap.
>
>    4) Kill it in such a way that it dumps core.
>
>    5) Run gdb on the program and the core image to get a traceback
>        and see where it is.... (often, there is a loop allocating
>        memory over-and-over which is easy to find.)
>
>  This quick approach has worked for me in the past...

Well, I compiled all of wine with -ggdb (came out to 29MB :)  and found out
that it was stuck trying to read the registry file I specified in my wine.conf.
Apparently, those registries cannot be Win95 registries.  Once I took those
entries out, it worked like a charm.  One potential bug of wine's is that when
they are reading in the file, they don't check for eof and thus terminate then
and assume it's an invalid file.  Instead, it was asking for 344 meg to read in
a 207k file!

>       - Dave Rivers -
>
> p.s. you're right - why wasn't Wine the one killed?

Because X has the largest chunk of memory that is resident, and I guess that's
the number used to determine who's the biggest.

---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/
PGP Key: http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/pgpkey.asc
"Power Users Use the Power to Serve!"  -  http://www.freebsd.org