Date:      Sat, 28 Feb 1998 17:48:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DPT driver in -stable (was Re: http://www.dpt.com/os2.htm)

On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> > On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, Amancio Hasty wrote:
> >
> > > Could someone contact DPT so that the FreeBSD is included as an OS
> > > which supports DPT controllers?
> > >
> > > 	Tnks
> > > 	Amancio
> >
> >   I believe DPT staff hang-out on the freebsd-scsi list...
> >
> >   Also, it would nice if the DPT driver was actually available in a
> > released version of FreeBSD first.  The 2.2-stable version is great, but
> > remains uncommitted.
>
> If there's a convincing show of hands, and the driver for 2.2 is stable
> and doesn't impact on the rest of the system, then point me at it.

  Well, there was at one dissenter you contacted me some time ago, and
said that the DPT was a bit to invasive.  I've eyeballed the code and I
don't think so, but I could be wrong.

  You can pick up a DPT driver patch kit from ftp.simon-shapiro.org
Unfortunately, it seems down right now (most likely Simon is re-building
his server again).

> Also, maintainers of non-integrated drivers should check out the script
> in src/tools/tools/kdrv.  This allows you to bundle your driver with an
> automated install/deinstall script.

  I wasn't aware of that.  That would be a good alternative.  The DPT
driver could be included in xpermnt at minimum then.

> --
> \\  Sometimes you're ahead,       \\  Mike Smith
> \\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  mike@smith.net.au
> \\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msmith@cdrom.com

Tom