Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 2014 20:32:55 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Bertram Scharpf <lists@bertram-scharpf.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I build my own package server?

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 20:25:52 +0200, Bertram Scharpf wrote:
> It's just that I am used to grep directories and that I learned to read
> the "+CONTENTS" files. I like to open files in an editor; this is what I
> always liked UNIX for.

In this case, a new "layer" would be needed that dumps
DB query results to text files. It shouldn't be hard
to implement those.

> Besides that, SQLite is not part of the base system but a port/package
> itself.

Well, pkg itself also is. :-)

Maybe in the future we will see parts of the new package
installation infrastructure and source maintenance tools
become part of the base system. Luckily the current ports
for those functionalities don't pull in thousands of
dependencies, so in my opinion the current approach of
having "stubs" in the OS and the "real" programs in ports
is acceptable (of course with the option of having them
available in the "offline" installation media as well,
comparable to how documentation is handled today).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany