Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 18:51:29 -0700
From:      Dave Carmean <dlc@silcom.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (long) Simult. 2.2.5 --> 3.1 upgrade and SCSI disk swap

On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 11:01:08AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Wednesday, 16 June 1999 at 18:11:46 -0700, Dave Carmean wrote:
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I've been having some trouble trying to upgrade my old 2.2.5 system
> > to 3.1, and am looking for tips.

[snip]

> You'd probably be better off installing from scratch on the new disk,
> as you did after running into problems.

I was trying to minimize the work involved in keeping my current
apps, data, environment, etc.

> > Problem is: I labeled the new disk, mounted it, and used tar through
> > a pipe to copy /, /var, and /usr over.  It booted fine from the new
> > disk, but the (Cheapbytes) 3.1 sysinstall upgrade did not see this disk!
>
> Where doesn't it find it?  It should find the drive in the partition
> editor.

From the full-screen sysinstall menu to select the target disk.  Actually,
now that I think of it, this might have been related to my use of
fdisk(8).  I may run through it again to confirm.

> > After that failure, I did a fresh basic (Novice) 3.1 install to the
> > new drive, hoping to use tar or dd to then copy the old system and try
> > the upgrade again.  But I can't directly get to rsd1s1{a,e,f,g} from
> > 2.2.5 now, because of the new device naming.
>
> So use the new names (/dev/rda1s1a, etc.).  That's not a problem.

2.2.5's MAKEDEV didn't create them, and during this run, I'd used
"fdisk -i" so it was actually rsd1s4.  I wasn't sure how to calculate
the device node major/minor numbers to make them myself.

--
David Carmean                                           <dlc@silcom.com>
  PGP fingerprint =  B1 57 EB A8 1D B9 87 86  5F 5C 51 A4 F2 5E ED FD

	My God, it's full of Cars!