Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 2009 16:22:53 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
To:        Mehul Ved <mehul.n.ved@gmail.com>
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Command line video player

no ports are not base system.

you may just do reinstall.

if you fell a bit more advanced you may try the following:

1) replace kernel with generic from 7.0
2) reboot. it should work as there is backward compatibility.
3) unpack FreeBSD userland binaries from CD - by just entering every
directory (like base, doc, etc...) and running install.sh
4) then upgrade manually /etc . maybe it could be done more automatic but
i never did it that way - maybe someone else will help you.

5) install compat5x from ports unless you like to reinstall all ports.

reboot