Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:56:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.csd.uu.se>
Cc:        Grigory Kljuchnikov <grn@ispras.ru>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: errno (46) - for FreeBSD 4.0 NFS server

I believe the lockd daemon is used in environments where applications at
the client end will not work unless they can make a lock call and get a
positive result.. so in environments where you feel its fairly safe to
fake a lock to a client app, in order to get the app working at all, that
you would use this.  (At least I think that used to be the reason for it)