Date:      Sat, 19 Oct 1996 23:57:47 +0000 (BST)
From:      Michael Shuldman <michaels@ifi.uio.no>
To:        karl@mcs.net
Cc:        deraadt@theos.com, dyson@freebsd.org, misc@openbsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libc/db/hash hash_buf.c

Karl Denninger <karl@MCS.Net> wrote,

> > > Theo...  I will still help the OpenBSD team with VM problems...
> > Thank you. But I will not help FreeBSD with security problems unless
> > something drastic happens.

> > > It looks like to me: OpenBSD -- all take and no give...
> > That's garbage.  You just expected us to behave nice after you called
> > our change stupid without asking us if we'd found some other flaws.

> On the contrary.  You just STATED that you will not help FreeBSD in any way,
> shape or form.  I think its only appropriate that the receiprocal action
> come your direction.

"any way, shape or form" ?  He did not state any such thing, why
don't you read what you quote ?
I would get rather pissed myself at a group if a high ranking member
of that same group told me to "go back to taking medicine" for no
logical reason.  Ofcourse, you are only doing your best to throw
more fuel on the flames.

These personal attacks, ranging from suggestions of taking
medicine to crawling back under a rock, are way out of line
(and in any case, you probably meant back into the cave).
Jason Downs posted a somewhat humorous, but obviously not hard
enough not to misunderstand hint, that backing out the change
is perhaps not the best thing to do.  Jordan K. Hubbard replied
in a even more humorous tone (which I atleast had a long laugh
from), perhaps trying to beat the more flame-oriented people to
the reply, seeing what might happen.  (if so, a good attempt
it was, I don't know why it failed.)

So why did it not (publically) end there ?

And how on earth can one think there is anything but a collegial
hint in Jason's posting ?  If he had evil intentions, he would
surely have shut up while FreeBSD backed out the changes.  He
obviously mailed in order to help FreeBSD, since he felt that
FreeBSD was better of with the change.

> > > Theo: Angry child...  Bad Theo, Bad... Bad...
> > And blind John.

> Yeah.  Right.
>
> I'm done with this thread Theo.  I don't have time for children and temper
> tantrums in a professional setting; I have a kid at home to take care of.

If you don't want replies, why send mail at all ?
It never ceases to amaze me how some people like to make some quick,
childish stabs out of the dark, often loaded with personal attacks,
and end it with something along the lines of that _they_ are "done",
"I'm unsubscribing", "you are in my kill file from now on", etc.
Reminds me of the game some kids like to play, ringing the door
bell at foreign houses and then running away in hiding.
Pathetic.

> Consider any commit that I place on FreeBSD from here on out to be
> Copyrighted by me and forbidden to show up in your codebase.  And yes, I
> will put legal notice on them if I have to.
> I strongly suggest other developers to do the same with their commits.

Well, that does indeed sound very un-childish and professional,
Mr.  Karl Denninger.   Let us all hope that someday, also OpenBSD
might aspire to your level of utter proffesionalism.  You really
make your point in an outstandingly (*outstandingly*) good way,
bravo!
Best of luck with your kid.

--
  _ //