Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 2002 15:20:54 -0500
From:      "William Wallace" <ww@austin.rr.com>
To:        "Wilko Bulte" <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>, "Charles Sprickman" <spork@inch.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD on Alpha problems

I bought my alpha workstation from eBay for $300 early this year.  It's a
500Mhz DEC Alpha 221164 w/1MB cache, 256MB of RAM (the old 72 pin EDOs with
parity), and some weird Intergraph video card that uses two PCI slots (which
I can't get to work with X anyway).

I'm kind of disappointed with the performance though.  Not that I expected
it to be fast by any of today's standards, but ubench gives the CPU a
"score" of 11200, whereas my old Celeron 450MHz gets 29550.  Does that mean
that the Celeron is roughly 3 times faster than the Alpha?

In any case, it makes for a really decent mail server for my small network.

I can offer my help for testing.  However, with my hectic work schedule, I'm
likely to "miss deadlines", if there are such things :-)

Thanks,
- William.