Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 1995 19:58:55 -0700
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        rcarter@geli.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New lmbench available (fwd)

>>> Terry Lambert said:
 >
 > I'd like to see you replicate the buildings only color printer.  8-).

Thats one scenario the other scenario is in a reasonable small building
when you install a printer you have to go in and  dig around with
your configuration files to tell every single workstation where
the freaking thing is or lets say that it goes down and there is
another printer in your vecinity the service should have the
capability to redirect the printing to the next near printer .

 > A print queue is "a service on a server".
Should a user really care about the distinction about server or
service . Isn't that what we should try to abstract?

 > The distinction is impossible to abstract for physicality.

Sure however as an architect would you be willing to cripple
your architecture to services which don't require phisicality such
as a printer?

 > The services I'm talking about are things like "the next 1024 frames
 > of 'Batman Returns'" or "the latest release of pkzip".

 > Services based on data retrieval, on the other hand, are not dependent
 > on the locality of the storage device containing the data, only the
 > timeliness of its arrival at the requesting location.
 >
 > Ie: I can't afford packet transfer times exceeding my pool retnetion
 > time for my video data.

Hmm... have you heard of RTPv2 with it you can measure bandwith so you
can send out a test stream to measure the bandwith or try to further
encode down the video stream or/an change the frame rate base on the
current bandwith.  We got the bits and pieces necessary to implement
what we want . We just don't have the architecture!

	Amancio