Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 18:40:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      James Halstead <jah4007@cs.rit.edu>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/32321: x11/kdelibs2 installs print cups, which then causes problem

The following reply was made to PR ports/32321; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: James Halstead <jah4007@cs.rit.edu>
To: Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, kde-freebsd@lists.csociety.org,
	gad@freebsd.org, kde@freebsd.org, will@csociety.org,
	leimbacd@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: ports/32321: x11/kdelibs2 installs print cups, which then
	causes problem
Date: 29 Nov 2001 07:38:49 +0500

 Message received...

 I forget to check my mail for *one* day and big things break out ;P

 I have actually been meaning to split up the cups port into two ports
 since I got the maintainership a little while back. I have just started
 to do so, but now I am not sure it is the best way. In any case, I am
 working on a split up and I will soon announce any changes that should
 be made for cups dependencies.

 [more technical discussion follows]

 Approach 1:

 My first thoughts, and this ended up being fairly easy, was to just make
 a libcups port which basically patches the main makefile to only do the
 make and make install from the cups-1.1.12/cups subdir. This will
 install the libcups lib and headers only, not the libcupsimage library.
 It also fails to install the cups-config script, but that can be fixed.

 This approach seems to work, but I am thinking something different might
 be better, consider approach 2:

 The BSD and SYSV printing systems reside in the berkeley and systemv
 subdirs respectively. My second approach would be to have the port now
 named cups install everything *but* the programs built from those two
 dirs (and their respective man pages as well...), then to create a new
 port (say cups-bin or something) which will only install those tools, It
 should not be too hard to accomplish. I think the second may be a better
 solution. I am pretty sure that cups is fully functional without the bsd
 and sysv printing binaries. This way cups could be used by kde, with
 full printing ability, but not stomp on other lp* binaries. If users
 wanted the command line printing ability then they could install the
 cup-bin port to get it.

 Advantage of '1' is that the libcups package would be small and out of
 the way for people that did not want cups, however the disadvantage is
 that it is not at all useful without the main cups port.

 Advantage of '2' is that cups should be fully able to print once cupsd
 is started. The disadvantage is that people that did not want to use
 cups would have to get a larger package as a dependency (this is only a
 point for packages, the port has to grab the same archive either way).

 Thoughts?

 For those interested I am going to place patches/shell archives to both
 methods in this area (method 1 is there now):

 http://www.rit.edu/~jah4007/FreeBSD/cups/

 James