Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 2009 03:11:40 GMT
From:      James Butler <sweetnavelorange@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   usb/138798: 8.0-BETA4 can't boot from USB flash drive

>Number:         138798
>Category:       usb
>Synopsis:       8.0-BETA4 can't boot from USB flash drive
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
On FreeBSD 8 with certain USB flash drives and/or USB controllers, when booting from a USB drive the device does not become available until after the system has tried (and failed) to mount / from it. After this has occurred, the user is prompted to manually enter the device name at the mountroot> prompt; for me, even this doesn't work, and the device is not listed in the output from the ? command.

This machine boots 7.2 without problems from the same device.

Trying an 8-STABLE kernel from 5 September (identifies as 8.0-BETA4), here is the last bit of the kernel messages (typed):

root mount waiting for: usbus2 usbus1 usbus0
root mount waiting for: usbus2
root mount waiting for: usbus2
ugen2.2: <TOSHIBA> at usbus2
umass0: <Toshiba TransMemory, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2> on usbus2
umass0:  SCSI over Bulk-Only; quirks = 0x0000
root mount waiting for: usbus2
umass0:0:0:-1: Attached to scbus0
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/da0s1a
ROOT MOUNT ERROR:
If you have invalid mount options, reboot, and da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0
target 0 lun 0
da0: <TOSHIBA TransMemory PMAP> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
da0: 3875MB (7936000 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 493C)
first try the following from
the loader prompt:

etc. This clearly shows the device being detected after mounting has failed.
>How-To-Repeat:
Install FreeBSD-8.0-BETA4 to a USB flash drive, and attempt to boot from it.