Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:48:52 +0200
From:      Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc inetd.conf

Thus spake Robert Watson (rwatson@FreeBSD.org):

> processing out of cron, not bind sockets, etc.  I don't know much about
> that, from an operational perspective, and would be interested in hearing
> more about the considerations here.  For example, I do know that a number
> of system functions generate e-mail (scheduled events, vi recovery, etc)
> and that needs to be handled properly.

We can disable binding to port 25 and local mail delivery will still
work.  I also like disabling all other network services by default.
One of OpenBSD's argument is, that you then know what services you've
had enabled, and you then know, what to take care about.  If you
missed a SA about some service you haven't enabled either, who cares?

Alex