Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 1996 08:28:58 +0930 (CST)
From:      Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
To:        jelinski@man.poznan.pl, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Diskless operation

In article <4udbun$dg7@al.imforei.apana.org.au> you wrote:

: Hi!

: I wanted to boot a diskless FreeBSD, so I read
: the section Diskless operation in the handbook.
: You can read in section 6.
: "Unpack the root filesystem in the directory the client will
: use for its root filesystem"

: To unpack something I have to have a *tar file. Where can I find
: it?

 Depending on what you want you'll need the files from freebsd
 distribution on ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/  You'll
 want the "bin" distribution, so download all the bin.??
 files and then a

  cat bin.?? | tar xzvf - -C /diskless/rootfs/

 should extract them to /diskless/rootfs (remember to do this
 as root so the ownerships are restored)

 You might want more stuff later (other parts of the distribution)
 but this should get you going...

: Can FreeBSD or Linux be a bootp server for a diskless FreeBSD?
: Thanks in advance for your help,

 Sure...

 Generic FreeBSD questions should really go to
 freebsd-questions@freebsd.org instead of freebsd-doc which is for
 documentation issues.

 Peter

--