Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 19:10:45 -0700
From:      Dave Carmean <dlc@silcom.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ALSO...superblocks/newfs Q. (was Re: (long) Simult. 2.2.5 .....)

On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 11:01:08AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Wednesday, 16 June 1999 at 18:11:46 -0700, Dave Carmean wrote:
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I've been having some trouble trying to upgrade my old 2.2.5 system
> > to 3.1, and am looking for tips.

> > 1/2 of sd0 is FreeBSD, the other is a Win95 compressed volume.  This
> > drive is now full, besides being flaky, so my idea was to dup my
> > FreeBSD install onto a new, larger SCSI disk, and then upgrade on
> > that copy.  Of course, since it's a different geometry, I can't
> > just dd the whole thing.
>
> You'd probably be better off installing from scratch on the new disk,
> as you did after running into problems.

Provided that I was able to figure out the offsets (using the figures/tables
in your book, BTW), would I be hosing myself out of the correct superblock
count/position, because the source fs was of a different size/geometry, or
disklabel info?

'Cause dd is /so/ much faster than tar for moving 2GB of data, at least
the way I'm trying to use it:

	cd / ; tar cf - . | (cd /mnt ; tar xf - )