Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2000 07:24:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Mike <mike@fdhosting.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: gdbm

Mike <mike@fdhosting.com> types:
> Quick off topic question:
> Would it be better/faster to pull configuration for a C or PHP cgi from a
> text file, or GDBM db? The program will be accessed over 200,000/day, so
> speed and reliability is a concern.

If speed and reliability are a real concern, I wouldn't use either one
of those; I'd put it in an SQL db. On the other hand, this may not be
appropriate for what you're doing.

The two methods have different speed tradeoffs, so it's hard to say
even if I had an accurate description of the problem. On the other
hand, measuring it yourself shouldn't be hard.

As for reliability - assuming you're putting preparsed data in the
GDBM db, then not having to worry about errors during the parse makes
that a bit easier. But that's just a minor benefit.

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.