Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 10:21:19 -0600
From:      Douglas Egan <degan@calcon.net>
To:        Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        Matt H <matt@proweb.co.uk>, raiden@shell.core.com, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: bind:  permission denied

Jan Grant wrote:

Thanks to all the great pointers.  The sypheed author asked me to check
the permissions of the /tmp directory.  /tmp was fine, but the problem
was that I had linked /var/tmp to a different filesystem.  The link
target "/usr2/tmp" did not have the proper permissions.

It was owned by root and only had 755 permissions.  chmod 1777
/usr2/tmp  did the trick.

Thanks again for the ideas.  As is usually the case, a no-brainer (once
the problem was realized).

Doug Egan