Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 18:22:44 +0100
From:      Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   make world from across the globe

I'm planning an upgrade from 4.2 -> 4.3 release but there's a couple of
things I'm a bit uncertain about.

The problem is that I have no direct access to the machine in question,
I usually just connect with ssh and for day to day stuff that serves me
just fine, but from the stuff I've read about upgrades I should drop
down to single user mode for the final stages like make installworld.

Now to my knowledge this makes remote logins a problem.

I've thought about setting /etc/ttys to insecure and then just dropping
down but I'm not exactly confident that'll work.

I've also read <URL: http://www.nothing-going-
on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html > which looks like I
might be able to avoid dropping to single user if I'm *very* careful,
prepared and desperate.

I'm therefore hoping someone can point me in the direction of either i)
a way to login across the Internet or ii) a way to do a source upgrade
without dropping to single user

TIA
Kevin
--